Banana Blossom Ceviche with Mizuna Microgreens
This recipe is a favorite and is a spin on the traditional Filipino dish: "Kilawin na puso ng saging".
2 cups banana blossoms
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2cup mizuna microgreens
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the banana blossom (if using the fresh sort) by removing and discarding the tough outer layers (calyx) and the pistil. Slice florets thinly crosswise.
2. Soak the slices in salty water for 10 minutes. Then squeeze until most of the liquid had been drained out. The procedure is to remove any bitter taste from the florets. Set aside.
3. Sauté garlic in olive oil, mix onions and chopped florets.
4. Add vinegar and let it simmer for 2 mins. Set aside in a bowl and cool.
5. Add fresh mizuna microgreens to the mix. Garnish with mizuna leaves on top.